Maldivians Visiting the UK

Maldivians can enter the United Kingdom and remain for up to 6 months visa-free, if the visit is for tourism purposes or to visit friends/family.

If you are travelling to the UK for any other reason, you will need to apply for and obtain a UK visa before  you travel to the UK. The UK Government’s ‘Check if you need a UK visa’ website is the best place to find out more information on UK visas.

UK Visa for Tourism Purposes

Although Maldivians do not need a visa to enter the UK for tourism purposes, they do need to have documents to show the UK Border Security Officers on arrival. These documents are the same documents that you would need if you did require a visa.

Full information on the supporting documents you will need can be found on the UK Government website.

In the majority of cases, Maldivians travelling to the UK for tourism purposes will need the following documents:

  • A genuine passport valid for the duration of your stay in the UK

  • Previous passports showing previous travel

  • Financial documents (e.g. bank statement, proof of earnings letter from your employer) showing that you have enough money to fund your accommodation and expenses in the UK, and enough money to fund your return or onward journey

    • If you will be receiving financial support or accommodation from a friend or family member (legally) living in the UK during your stay, you will need documents (e.g. bank statement, proof of earnings letter from an employer) to show that they have sufficient resources to support you in addition to themselves and their family.

  • Although not required, it is also advisable to have your return or onward travel tickets

If you are under 18, you will need additional documents:

  • a Birth Certificate or legal document (such as adoption papers) showing the relationship between you and your parent/guardian

If you are travelling by yourself, or with people other than your parent(s)/guardian(s), you will also need to provide:

  • a signed letter from your parent(s) confirming details of anyone accompanying you, and details of care and accommodation arranged in the UK

  • a copy of your parent(s) or legal guardian’s biographical page of their passport, which includes their signature and passport number. Or, if your parent(s) do not have a passport then you must provide another official document which bears their signature

Full information on the supporting documents you will need can be found on the UK Government website.

If travelling for tourism purposes, you must not do the following while in the UK:

  • take employment, produce goods or provide services, including the selling of goods or services to members of the public;
  • undertake a course of study;
  • marry or form a civil partnership, or give notice of marriage or civil partnership;
  • carry out the activities of a business visitor, a sports visitor or an entertainer visitor;
  • receive private medical treatment; or
  • stay longer than six months.

Long-stay and non-Tourism UK Visas

If you intend to stay longer in the UK longer than six months, or wish to visit the UK for any reason other than tourism or visiting friends/family, you will need to apply for a visa.

Please visit the UK Government website for more information about different types of visas and the supporting documents you would need.


This site uses some unobtrusive cookies to store information on your computer.

By clicking 'I understand' you are accepting the terms of our Privacy Policy. Learn more

I understand